I aim to please when making birthday cakes for family and friends. This cake is dedicated to my daughter that believes chocolate cake lacks enough chocolate.
The bottom layer is a flourless chocolate cake. The middle layer is chocolate mouse. And the outside is chocolate ganache. This cake is absolutely not lacking chocolate!
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 1/3 c water
- 1/3 sugar
- 1 stick butter (cut up into pieces)
- 12 oz semisweet chocolate
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 c coffee
- 2 Tbls dark rum
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven 325
- Butter 8 in round cake pan and line with aluminum foil
- In medium saucepan heat water and sugar over medium heat until simmer. Add butter and heat until melted
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Make sure chocolate is submerged. Let stand for one minute. Whisk until smooth
- In mixer with whisk attachment, beat eggs, coffee, rum and cinnamon until well incorporated
- Slowly add chocolate and whisk until well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan
- Create a water bath for cake pan. Put cake pan in a larger pan and add enough water to larger pan to reach halfway up side of cake pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until slightly firm to the touch
- Place in refrigerator until cold and ready to proceed with chocolate mouse
- To remove from pan, run a knife along edge. Place pan on hot stove for 7 seconds. Invert cake and remove foil.
- 8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (Do not use chocolate chips)
- 1 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons of confectioners’ sugar
- Chill a bowl and whisk in the freezer for a few hours.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler until smooth.
- In the chilled bowl, whip the cream and sugar until it holds its shape.
- Fold half of the cream into the chocolate until incorporated.
- Fold the chocolate and cream mixture into the remaining whipped cream, incorporating thoroughly.
- Spread on top of flourless chocolate cake.
- Freeze for about 15 minutes and shape the mouse on top of cake – repeat again if necessary
- Freeze for about 1 hour so that the mouse will hold its shape before ganache is poured on top
- 16 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped (use good quality chocolate – it is the essence of the flavor)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place chocolate in a bowl.
- Heat cream over low heat, stirring occasionally, until it starts to simmer.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and stir until well-incorporated. It should be thick enough that it doesn’t just run down the sides. Allow to cool a little if not thick enough
- Pour warm ganache over the cake
- Put in refrigerator for 15 minutes. Reshape the ganache coating so all the sides and top are smooth.
Keep cake in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
3 thoughts on “Chocolate Loaded Cake (gluten free)”
That looks so yummy! 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
[…] Chocolate Loaded Cake (gluten free) […]